Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP)

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows students who have graduated from a Participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

A work permit under the PGWPP cannot be valid for a longer period than the length of the Student’s studies. 

Example:  If students graduate from a four-year degree program, they could be eligible for a three-year

Work permit if they meet the criteria. 

If the students graduate from an eight-month certificate program, they would be eligible for a work the permit that is valid for no more than eight months.

Following successful completion of their studies, students may accept employment in any field, with no restrictions. This means that students are allowed to apply for the work permit as soon as they graduate, and once they have it in hand, they would be able to start working as soon as they receive a job offer. There is no need for HRSDC confirmation (work permit with a C43 exemption).

The work permit is valid up to a maximum of three years with no geographical restriction

Student in good standing

In order to be considered a student in good standing for CIC purposes, a foreign national must be registered in studies at an educational institution in Canada and be considered “in good standing” by that institution’s criteria, and demonstrate progress in their program of study.

Each institution has its own definition of “good standing” which may include the following determinants: tuition paid, a student enrolled, student passing classes with satisfactory results for the institution (this may be a pass mark, but some programs require a higher level of achievement) or, a student attending classes (although this is not a requirement in many post-secondary institutions). Most institutions consider it a standard procedure to provide a letter stating that a student is in good standing within the institution and/or within their program of study.

When do I have to submit my application?

You must submit your application for a work permit within 90 days, starting from the day when your final marks are issued, or when you receive a formal written notification of graduation from the institution, whichever comes first, indicating that you have met the requirements of your program of study. Your study permit must continue to be valid upon submission of your application for a work permit.

Note: If you have other evidence that you have successfully completed your program (such as a final transcript or a letter from the institution), you may apply for your work permit before you receive your formal notification of graduation.

Students who are already working under a work permit issued under the previous rules are eligible to apply for an extension, however, the total duration of the permit including the extension should not exceed the maximum duration allowed by the new program parameters.

What are the requirements?

All applicants must have:

  • temporary resident status during their qualifying period of work experience and any period of full-time study or training in Canada,
  • work experience in occupations that meet the minimum requirements for workers with Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupation Classification (NOC),
  • must have the qualifying work and study experience needed at the time the application is made,
  • knowledge of English or French (speaking, reading, listening and writing),
  • not engaged in work or attended school without authorization,
  • not remained in Canada after the time authorized to do so has expired,
  • Not been found inadmissible to Canada on grounds such as health or security.

Applicants must also have:

Temporary Foreign Workers:

  • ۲۴ months of work Experience within the last 36 months.


  • ۱۲ months of qualifying work Experience within the last 24 months.
  • Graduated from a recognized post-secondary educational institution and obtained the necessary Canadian educational credential.
  • Once you have taken a language test from a designated testing agency, you can determine if you meet the language requirements for CEC.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • The CEC requirements for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are:

NOCCLB LevelSpeakingListeningReadingWriting
O, A86.
O, A
O, A, B

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *